Last night at the end of act one of La Traviata, I received a text from our dear friend and vocal teacher: were we in the audience? Yes! Chloe and I found Mark in the lobby, shared intermission, and then we were able to sit together for the rest of the evening. Texting facilitated community.
At the end of the second intermission I sent out a tweet about our evening. Chloe watched me, horrified and fascinated. First at my incredibly slow typing on the iPhone, then again as she realized I wasn't merely texting: I was on TWITTER!!
This new wrinkle in my image proved too much for her. She seized the small device from my hands, and rapidly sent out another missive, pressing the SEND button before I could even read it. Speaking in my name and with my avatar, she broadcast a grammatically funky expression of her horror. To my new community. I felt like my car had just been hijacked.
I realized in an instant how differently we felt about this. I felt upset that something I had not written was broadcast in my name. At this point in my life I am clear that each action we take reflects on us, and I am pretty meticulous about speaking and acting in alignment with my values, which apparently include accurate representation.
Chloe on the other hand has an entirely different relationship with technology. At nearly fourteen she is accustomed to fluidly sharing voices with her friends as they seamlessly use one another's devices to communicate. Sometimes this is a matter of convenience, and occasionally deliberate misrepresentation can be involved. It is easier than ever to speak with another's voice-- or avatar. Whether that is one's intention or not. And she accepts that this is part of life.
Maybe we can learn something from each other here. She can learn that asking for permission before speaking in another's name produces a better result. And I could probably lighten up. Meanwhile, community expands as we explore together and share our voices.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oooohhh the brave new world of you, technology, and yikes teenagers! My little guy is only four but my guts flipped while reading your post imaging myself in your position. All this social media we have been immersed in comes with an amazing spectrum and resulting intersection of lives. BTW you are the coolest mom ever! You are definitely one of my mom heroes or should I say "sheroes". I was born to know you and have you hold a light for me on the bumpy road of parenting. Only love and gratitude for you Bonnie J Wallace.
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic, Bonnie. Especially now that I've had the pleasure of meeting Chloe, I think I appreciate this hilarious story even more. Brava to you, my dear, at being able to recognize (at least in retrospect) Chloe's point of view, and even what you might be able to learn from her.
ReplyDelete