Monday, October 26, 2009

Unexpected Sources of Inspiration and Learning

I essentially took this entire weekend off from school. Unusual, and intelligent. My daughter Chloe and I spent the weekend in Bellingham at a Vocal Intensive taught by our mentor's mentor, Dr. Michael Warren from NY. Dr. Warren coaches singers who have leads at the Metropolitan Opera and on Broadway, and the opportunity was too great to miss.

My daughter Claire works with him in NY and really loves him as a person as well as a coach, so I was really looking forward to just meeting him.

Vocal Intensives are essentially Master Classes. You spend an entire long day or weekend watching other people warm up, sing, and recieve coaching. It's astonishing how much we can learn simply by watching and listening to others. When you think about it, this is how babies learn. They learn by watching and listening. No one "explains" how to do something to a baby. This is how we learn language, and probably most everything else that stays with us.

I'm still processing what I learned this weekend. I saw many people risk feeling foolish for the chance to grow, which inspired me. It is awkward and literally sometimes painful to push past previous boundaries. In my case, I learned that I am not a mezzo soprano-- a definition that has kept me in a comfortable jazz and musical theatre zone-- but a truly dramatic soprano, which essentially takes the lid off my belief in the repertoire that is available to me, as well as who I think I am as a singer. My teacher Mark Power had thrown down the gauntlet two weeks ago and asked me to work an aria from Candide, the opera, which is according to Dr. Warren arguably as difficult a piece as any available in either musical theatre OR opera. NOW they tell me!

So I gave it my all, definitely looked foolish in some places, and blew the room and myself away in some others. It was exhilarating. Do I aspire to a professional career as a singer? No. But singing fills my soul, and that light shines itself on all other aspects of my life.

Current takeaway for this learning journal: I learn by watching, listening, and doing. I am not afraid to risk looking foolish to grow. And I am inspired by others who do the same.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this view into your weekend.

    How did taking the weekend off from school and pursue a passion of yours effect you energy, interest, intensity with school and other "work" type activities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tomas,
    Taking the weekend off both threw me off track a bit (there seems to be a certain momentum required for me to really keep focus in school) and also truly gave me a sense of breathing space. Which I return with, and which does give me a greater sense of energy. As I said, I have no dreams of pursuing voice professionally-- unlike my daughters-- which is one reason I am pursuing a Sustainable MBA instead of some kind of MFA. Today I am truly in the mood to put my head down and create some results, and I do think the break fed the stamina that this program requires.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In light of our conversation Monday this post has immediately taken on a deeper meaning. I noted that your voice felt and sounded more "free" lately. I learn by watching, listening, and doing too. Thank you for holding my hand so gently. I feel absolutely honored to rework the tapestry of humanity together, "sewing holes making sure that dreams fit". - blu

    The sacred thread that you bring so elegantly and graceful with the voice of an angel and fierceness of a tiger is an amazing gift from the universe. Uniting all sides. I am always impressed with the beaming pride in your eyes for your lovely girls, the result of amazing humans being raised with "the lid off". Now it's your turn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I feel so deeply inspired reading your Vocal Intensive post.
    I admire your risk-taking ability and your love, dedication and support regarding the choices your daughters are making to follow their paths.
    I love this: "I learned that I am ... a truly dramatic soprano".
    I want to hear you! Post an audio clip for us, my dear Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete